Thursday, October 28, 2010

Media- Entry #10

Day 1- October 23 2010
  Today, while on the internet, I found an article that caught my eye. It was called, "The Way We Treat Our Troops" by Bob Herbert, and it was located in the 'opinion' section of the New York Times. The article started out with a strong statement about human rights and world peace. At first, I thought the article was going to continue this way, speaking about world peace and justice. However, I was mistaken. The article continued by talking about human decency instead. It spoke of how we, as people, care more about the lasted scandal in Hollywood, facebook, and manicures then about the people who are out in Afghanistan dying for our country.
  Although I thought the article did come on a little strong, it made some good points. We, as Americans, do spend a shocking amount of our time wallowing over celebrities scandals and unimportant tweets. Now, even on the news, Lindsy Lohan's drug scandal got more attention then any other story that day. It made me think, what gave we come to? Do we care more about manicures and hair products then we do about a human life? Whenever anyone brings up the subject of death, people shrink away and begin talking about something else. Is it the lack of interest, or are we just un-comfortable? In any case, our troops deserve more justice and appreciation then they are currently receiving.


Day 2- October 24
  Today, I saw a report about a man who was 'dragged by a taxi' on the news. To find out more about it, I looked it up and found an article called 'Man Claims He Was Dragged By Taxi Who Refused To Go To Brooklyn' by Ben Yakas. The article stated that the man who was dragged asked the driver to take him to Brooklyn while opening the door, and the driver refused and  began to drive the taxi away, taking the man (who was halfway in the door) along with him. The dragging caused several injuries to the front and back of the mans head. This story made me wonder more about human decency. I just can't understand how, or why someone would do that to another person. And it was just because he didn't want to take the man to Brooklyn! Maybe the taxi driver did not know that he was injuring the man, or maybe he just got scared, but even so he should at least have had the decency to apologize. Honestly, what are we coming to?

Day 3- October 25
    The article I found today was unlike any of the others that I found. Unlike the previous articles that I covered, this one was about animal cruelty rather then human decency. The article was about a young girl, about twelve years, who was attempting to kill puppies by throwing them into the lake. If it had not been for a woman near by, the puppies would have died. Even though this was animal cruelty, the girl was not charged at all, for she was too young. I couldn't believe this when I first saw it, what kind of a person kills puppies? Do we, as humans, really not care about animals?

Day 4- October 26
    Today, I found the most upsetting and distressing article that I have found yet. The title caught my eye  as it was 'Mom Kills Baby for Interrupting Farmville'. The article was about a mother who shook and hit her baby over the head with her computer because that baby was crying while she was playing 'Farmville', a game on Facebook. Although the woman pleads guilty and states that it was an accident, the evidence is mounting. This article horrified me, I just don't understand how a woman could do that to her own baby! Was she insane? The baby was only three months old, it couldn't help itself. She murdered her own child, and based on the interview, she barely seemed to care. What have we come to, killing our own children, and all over a Facebook game!
Day 5- October 27
    I came upon a shocking article today while doing research for a social studies project. It was an article about two teenage girls who were shot by Somali militants under false accusations. The two girls were supposably found with an un-named 'enemy' by the Somali militants. After interrogating the two, the girls were led to be kneeled against a wall blindfolded, and then shot. They were executed in front of hundreds of people, including several family members, all of whom claim that the girls were falsely accused. This article not only outraged me, but it also made me feel increasingly empathetic for the two girls. First of all, I could not believe that the Somali militants would be so quick to make a decision like that without further interrogation, or at least more evidence! There actions ended the two lives of young girls, and most likely affected the lives of there relatives forever. How could they be so careless, there is more evidence that the two were innocent then guilty! I just don't understand how they could have been so sloppy and careless with someones life. Second of all, I can only imagine the fear and anger the two girls felt right before they were shot. How could a government do this? Were they trying to make others fear the same result if they betrayed the government? How could they throw a life away like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment