Monday, May 23, 2011

Coming of Age Prompt #9: What does it mean to grow up? In what ways are and aren't you grown up? What are your feelings about this?

   Growing up means different things to different people. In many cultures it's when you turn a certain age or get your period. However, I don't think growing up depends on age or anything else, it is different for every person. No one can pin point the moment when someone grows up or when it will happen, it all depends on the person. I think the moment when you really grow up is when you see yourself as you truly are, with all the flaws and imperfections, and you are willing to try to change these aspects of yourself.
   At this particular point in my life, I think there are many ways in which I am grown up, but there is still a lot I have yet to learn and do.
   For example, one area that I've matured in only in the last two years or so is how to treat people. Before, I never really understood the ideas of selflessness and empathy. When in a fight or argument with someone, I would only see my side of the situation. Now that I'm older and more grown up, I understand that this is not fair. Recently I've been trying to see other people's views when arguing or fighting with them. Another aspect that I have matured in this year is standing up for myself. Last year I never stood up for what I believed in or for myself, so as a result I was often manipulated. This year I've really started to stand up for myself.
   As for the areas that I still need to mature in, there is a lot in the world I don't yet understand, but I think there is still a lot of time for me to figure them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment