Monday, May 30, 2011

Coming Of Age Response (Extra Credit):What is rebellion? Why do so many young people "rebel"? Is rebellion a necessary element of growing up?

   Rebellion and the need to rebel in teenagers is a concept that has taken me ages to truly grasp. I know I'm supposed to be really into "defying my parents" and "breaking the rules", but it has never really been something that interests me. But, I do think rebellion is an important stage that every person must go through. Rebellion is mainly just a point in your life of freedom, a form of release in a way. Throughout my life I've watched my friends rebel against their parents, in little and large ways, and I've come up with my own theories about it. Although I don't really do it, I think it is important for people to rebel at some point or another. In a way, it can help your mental health. This may sound strange, but I believe that to truly be able to understand life and yourself, you must break away from your parents in some way.
   If you go throughout your life believing and doing everything your parents say, you will never grow to have ideas of your own. For example, say your parents told you that you had to become a lawyer when you were older. As you got older, you would most likely rebel and make your own decisions about your future. If you didn't rebel and did as your parents said, you would go on to live a life that you didn't want, causing you to be constantly unhappy.
  I think that to discover who you are and what you want your life to be, it is necessary to go through a period of rebellion.

No comments:

Post a Comment